Lead Field Operative (Highways & Construction)
Ace Appointments Midlands are looking to recruit a Lead Field Operatives for a Local Authority contract based in Leicestershire.
Overall Job Purpose:
The successful candidate will be required to work as part of a team to deliver a best value, customer-focused service throughout Leicestershire and occasionally, surrounding counties. You will lead a small team (usually 3 or 4 operatives), working flexibly, efficiently and effectively to deliver construction, maintenance and surfacing activities such as maintaining carriageways and footpaths, and constructing new roadways and structures in accordance with statutory requirements
Daily Work Activities will include: Schemes, Construction work, Bridge Maintenance, Bridge Construction, General Maintenance, Patching, Blacktop, Surfacing Schemes
Main Duties and Responsibilities
To work on various construction, maintenance and carriageway surfacing projects, at times leading a small team to deliver a range of civil engineering disciplines, utilising existing knowledge and skills and gaining experience in technical practices following safe working procedures and use of equipment and power tools in accordance with the Traffic and Construction Regulations for site and members of the public.
To ensure that activities are completed to a high standard, in accordance with the cllient specifications.
To tackle unacceptable behaviour on site, recording the incidents and escalating to the Site Team Leader/ Supervisor for further action where required
To assist in the development of skills for less experienced operatives, and encourage experiential learning whilst on site.
To support the Supervisor or Site Team Leader by:
· assuming responsibility as the senior operative by grade or as requested when working with other operatives on the same grade, for ensuring the correct observance of Health and Safety directives with regards to personal protective equipment, application of Temporary Traffic Management requirements and the safe lifting and handling of materials and plant on site
· ensuring daily performance targets are met, raising any issues in a timely manner with the Supervisor or Site Team Leader
· taking the lead when working with temporary staff, to explain the requirements of the job, answer, or escalate to the Supervisor or Site Team Leader any queries and ensure they are made to feel part of the team
· NVQ 2 in Highways Maintenance or similar
· Skilled Road-worker Trades Test Assessment
· New Roads and Streetworks Act (NRSWA) Qualification (Operative)
· Valid driving licence
· Valid Large Goods Vehicle Licence and CPC Trained with current DQC Card
· Accredited and relevant H&S Training Records and Certification (e.g. NPORS plant operator, IOSH working safely, Appointed Person, etc).
Demonstrable evidence of the skills and experience as outlined below, together with a commitment to attain the essential qualifications
· Working in a highways or civil engineering environment
· Extensive ability to take measurements and calculate quantities e.g. areas, volumes and weights
· Use of information technology (eg personal computer, PDS, mobile phones etc) in a work-related context
· Use of underground detection equipment
· Extensive knowledge of construction specifications, materials, compaction and workmanship requirements.
· Extensive knowledge of safe working practices when using plant and machinery
· Construction Health, Safety and Environmental requirements and safe working procedures
· Legislation including driver’s hours, PPE and manual handling
· Chapter 8 Traffic Management Regulations
· Noise at Work Regulations